A village located on the foot of the hill covered with ruins of the acropolis - representing the archaeological site of the ancient Polyrinia, built around 1100 BC, once being one of the most important cities of western Crete. The village is also known for the Roman aquaduct and the church of the Holy Fathers which was built from stones of an ancient temple dedicated to Artemis. Agamemnon stopped in Polyrinia returning back from Troy in order to make a sacrifice.

« Back to Crete gallery.